Suite D First Floor
Hull – HU1 3HA
In 1866 Gleadow, Dibb and Co. started work on a purpose-built brewery in Silvester Street. The brewery had the capacity of fermenting 24,000 gallons of wort at a time.
In 1887 Gleadow, Dibb and Co. Ltd. was wound up, and a new company, “The Hull Brewery Company Limited”, was formed. The company embarked on a period of increased expansion, acquiring other brewers and bottlers, purchasing licensed houses and enlarging the Silvester Street site. By 1890 they were recorded as owning 160 licensed houses.
The Second World War led to many of the company’s properties being damaged or destroyed during the Hull Blitz. The Silvester Street brewery, however, remained intact, possibly because the German bomber pilots used its chimneys as a landmark. The company was taken over by Northern Dairies in 1972 and the name was changed again to North Country Breweries. Brewing at the Silvester Street site ceased in 1985.
The Maltings is a new development on the site of the Anchor Brewery, breathing new life into the old property in the heart of Hull after remaining closed for over 30 years.